During the summer and fall months, the area’s weather is perfect for a walk to Fort Mansfield at the end of Napatree Point. The hike offers spectacular views of Fisher’s Island, Stonington Borough, and Mystic, Connecticut. For additional information, please see our Parks and Links sections.
The area now occupied by Watch Hill Village was originally home to the Niantic Indians. One of their influential leaders, Chief Ninigret, now greets visitors in bronze relief from the village park. Later, during The Revolutionary War, Watch Hill became an important outpost and lookout observing the entrance to Long Island Sound. In 1806, Thomas Jefferson signed the order establishing the historic Watch Hill Lighthouse. Since then, it has been an important navigational aid and lifesaving station in an area riddled with shipwrecks.
At the turn of the 20th century, Watch Hill established itself as a resort community with numerous grand hotels and beach “cottages.” By the mid 1900s, all of the hotels burned down with the exception of one, The Ocean House. This historic hotel at the top of Plimpton Avenue has been renovated and opened in June, 2010