Latest News

Find out what’s going on & stay up to date.

The Village of Watch Hill was originally home to the Niantic Indians.

One of their influential leaders, Chief Ninigret, now greets visitors in bronze relief from the Village Park.

In 1806, Thomas Jefferson signed the order establishing the historic Watch Hill Lighthouse.

Since then, it has been an important navigational aid and lifesaving station in an area riddled with shipwrecks. 


The Lighthouse has been under the management of The Watch Hill Lighthouse Keepers Association since 1986.

At the turn of the 20th century, Watch Hill established itself as a resort community with grand hotels and beach cottages.

By the mid 1900s, all of the hotels had burned down with the exception of one, The Ocean House. This historic hotel at the top of Plimpton Avenue was completely rebuilt and reopened in June, 2010.

Upcoming Events

Join the fun in our village!

No Events

"It is almost impossible to watch a sunset and not dream."

Bernard Williams

Close Search Window